- On Saturday, May 5, 2012, 35 French Gerleman employees, friends and family members participated in National Rebuilding Together Day and dramatically improved the home of a quadriplegic in St. Louis City.
This was French Gerleman’s sixth year participating in Rebuilding Together’s annual event. The home we sponsored was one of the 50 homes rehabbed in the St. Louis metro area on that day.
- Repaired the front wheelchair ramp, including adding a new railing
- Painted kitchen walls and cleaned up cabinets.
- Replaced the kitchen sink, including the addition of a special device allowing the homeowner to turn on and off the water from his wheelchair.
- Increased the size of the room openings to improve his wheelchair access.
- Cleaned up and organized his computer station.
- Removed lead paint from his back porch and re-painted it with lead-free paint.
- De-cluttered the basement.
- Replaced the front porch light.
- Replaced a rotting wood under the kitchen floor.
- Cleaned and grouted the bathroom floor and reattached a wobbly bathroom sink.
French Gerleman donated $2,500 to Rebuilding Together-St. Louis to help offset costs of the organization's Rebuilding Day event and donated electrical supplies and materials for the project. In addition, Cooper B-Line, Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems, Fishco Electrical Sales and PIP donated material and safety items used in this project.
Rebuilding Together-St. Louis is a St. Louis, Missouri, based not-for-profit organization dedicated to revitalizing neighborhoods by rehabilitating the houses of low-income homeowners, particularly the elderly and disabled, so that they may continue to live independently in comfort and safety.